Pictured above: State Park Peace Officers Kirk Schoonover, Ennio Rocca and Raymund Nanadiego at Dana Hills High School
Collaboration and personal initiative are hallmark characteristics of a thriving organization. The Transformation Team is using these characteristics to further advance the mission of California State Parks and strengthen the state park system. A recent example is the collaboration between the Transformation Team and the department’s personnel services section to develop excellent management systems and a thriving workforce. We are excited to report that employees will soon be able to take exams online and that a revised “Exams” Intranet page is now available. Information on both of these accomplishments is included below. Thank you to the personnel services section and exam analyst Erin Heath, for this positive change.
The Transformation Team is currently working with the personnel services section of California State Parks to increase the availability of online, recurring and open examinations for as many classifications as possible. Some of the new exams will be hosted by CalHR while others will be hosted in-house. To this end, the new District Superintendent I and II classification will be a CalHR online administered exam. Online exams will help the department seize opportunities to improve relevancy by promoting a workforce that is reflective of the diversity of California. As the department moves along in finalizing the new exams, information will be shared with employees.
Revised Intranet Webpage
As of last Tuesday, March 29, California State Parks has a one stop information webpage on exams. The goal of this project was to provide department staff with additional resources to better assist them through the examination and selection process. This idea was independently initiated by the Exam Unit. Heath volunteered to lead this transformative effort.
The new Intranet webpage, accessible only to employees, can be found at http://isearch.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=1040.
Some of the information available includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Critical Tasks and Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Statement – Used not only for exam development, but helpful for possible candidates, training, duty statements, recruitment, etc.
- Exam Basics
- Exam Plan – Each fiscal year, the Exam Services Unit publishes a list of upcoming scheduled exams
- Examination process, e.g. “Steps of Civil Service Examination Process”
- Government Codes as they relate to the selection process
- Helpful Hints: Tips on how to find information on current exams, apply for an examination, fill out a state application and prepare for an examination.
- Quick links to:
- State Application (Std. 678)
- Steps to a State Job
- Temporary Authorization Appointments (TAU) Information
- Information for Persons with Disabilities
We welcome you to explore this site and share with us your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.